Thursday, January 19, 2006

As this is the first entry I'm making, I'll give a little introduction. The first literary "experience" I has was reading the Rubayaat of Omar Khayyam as a boy. I found the use of words and images wonderful, and it opened up a world of expression for both myself and others I had never dreamed of. I'd say that there were three main literary influences- Vachel Lindsey, a poet I happened across in the library, who writes with a very fixed rhyme structure, and almost like a song or chant. Also Walt Whitman, with his rich self-analysis and acceptance, and good old Henry David Thoreau- I read my last copy of Walden to tatters. And so it came to be that I, born and raised here in New England, drew my inspiration from its cities and rural areas. I hope you enjoy this, maybe find it inspiring. If you don't like it, well, that's all right too. I'd rather you felt strongly one way or another than not be moved at all. Enjoy, and please feel free to comment or email me- share a verse or a thought. Thanks for reading!

Young Man Comes to the River
Seeking inspiration, I
Come to the bridge, water
rushing below, dark and cold, bent on
errands of its own- to my back I hear the
roar of traffic, cars moving towards the ends of their drivers
And I am driven to
Plunge into the river, see the
Depths of its mystery, I
Run to the banks, seeking answers
Hearing only now the soft sigh of moving timeless waters
Evening approaches as the sun sets on the water

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home