Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Day from Hell

I've been having a tough week, and my wife has been working long hours as well- so between trying to make each other feel better, we've been at each other's throats. But she works hard too, so I try to be understanding and flexible. This got me thinking, however-things could be worse. Sometimes you're up, and sometimes not. If I was up all the time things would get pretty dull. And besides, if things go wrong it's a chance to look around and see what went wrong, and what you can fix. Keep your happy thoughts, I guess. And on that note-
Music
Cold sleet ticks against the window
opening to winter's gray skies
Sun fading behind low clouds and cold air
Cannot fade memories of summer
at this old desk
A young boy, warm afternoons
Mom's old hi-fi, listening to LPs, maybe
Neil Young or Handel's water music
Small hands careful with shiny
black vinyl
Mornings in Maine, a new day
of fields to explore, trees to climb
Grandpa's old farmhouse
Waking up early to find rock and roll
on the old radio, mysterious with
glowing dusty tubes
Turning the yellowed plastic knobs
Needle jumping behind cracked glass
"I didn't think that thing
still worked!"
Older now, kid's songs
Little boy's raucous delighted laughter
New memories for his own desk,
his own winter days

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home