Saturday, March 11, 2006

Perfect Blue

I've really not been "with it" for the past week or so. I can't really put my finger on it- I haven't been sick or awake all night or not eating right. I skip the occasional meal, but that's nothing out of the ordinary, at least for me. It's more like a persistent feeling of unreality- like things aren't quite real. Everything seems kind of Technicolor, a little too bright and not quite real. I think I'm just stressed out from work. Going to the gym has become more about kicking the crap out of myself than actually concentrating on a workout. (Didn't know I could bench press that much, though...) It' s probably time to get out of my rut and go take a hike or something. Especially today, when it's about 60 degreees and sunny. March in Connecticut is always kind of a crapshoot weather-wise. Take advantage of the good weather when you get it, as tomorrow it might snow. My sister has the right idea- she's heading south for spring break. I'm going down to drop her off at the airport Sunday. Luckily, she knows where to go. The first time I had to go to an airport I was completely lost. But then, on the other hand, it doesn't take much to get me lost. Pretty much getting behind the wheel will do the trick. Yet I can find my way out of the woods no matter how far off the trail I've wandered. Go figure.
Today's little literary masterpiece was one I wrote for my son. Best interpreted while banging on steam pipes or something- think big mechanical noises. Here goes...
Diggers
There's a lot going down
In the walls of our town
As the wind rushes down
From above
***
There's a low grinding moan
From the Tower's steel bones
And the gears mesh and grind
In the cold deep mine
As the wind rushes down
From above
***
When the sun sinks low
Still the thunder rolls
From the lightless pit
Now the flames are lit
As the wind rushes down
From above
***
Now from underground
The old man calls out
"There's a place I've found
About six miles down,"
While the wind rushes down
From above
***
"It's a danger zone
As I'm sure you'll know-
Keep your feet, keep your wits
Down below!"
And so in we go
Past the big black stones
And the wind rushes down
From above
***
Still we dig from the earth
All the rocks and dirt
Still the trucks unload
Past that deep dark hole
And the wind rushes down
From above.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home