Saturday, March 04, 2006

If Nothing Can Stop Them...

We'll just have to get a whole truckload of nothing together. A Saturday, good day to go work out. So I did. The snow has pretty much come and gone, but the cold stays on. Last Thursday I watched my niece and nephew, which is always an adventure. I'm always amazed how smart the two of them are. My niece is 1 1/2, and my nephew 3. Evidently smart kids run in the family- my own little boy is no slouch himself. And, in the spirit of advancing science, my niece decided to examine the pressing question of whether or not a beard is a permanent attachment, or if it can be removed by application of force. Initial experimentation seemed to refute this hypothesis, but like any good scientist, she went on to several beta-tests. Consultations with her fellow scientist and brother seemed also to reinforce the initial findings; he noted that "your beard grows quick!" I always figured it was the Scottish ancestry. But at any rate, I can very much understand the pride their parents have in them. I'm proud of my family, too.
Bricks and Mortar
Rains washed over
ancient bricks, now
long forgotten-
A new day, a new time
****
It all comes together-
Solace in the fact
that this iron spike
will be in the bricks
after I have gone, as
it was here before I was
And these walls
will remember me
Mark the brief
touch of my hand
And many others-
The game ends, but
to begin again
Let's live a
lifetime here-
Others have

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home