Monday, February 13, 2006

Snowed In

Yesterday was quite a snowstorm, so I didn't get out of the house very much. I did get a good deal of cleaning done, which is a good thing. Which brings me up to the present- listening to Miles Davis and not really getting anything done. It's a really good album, though- an old Columbia recording of My Funny Valentine with Ron Carter on bass, (one of my heroes, being a bass player myself) and George Coleman on tenor sax (likewise here). I've been working my way through kind of a dry spell (must be the snow) by reading H.P. Lovecraft and various poets off of poetz.com- some of whom I've had the privelege to hear in person. Attempts at writing through it have met with mixed results. But if anyone has any recommendations for really good jazz albums, I'd love to hear them. I'm a big Charles Mingus fan myself. I know probably every bass player says that, but I enjoy the fact that his music demands something of you, that you really dig deep to get what he's saying. At any rate, time to go back to good old Miles.
I feel a little guilty about writing this one, as it is an ex-girlfriend- we kind of lost touch, but were friends for a while, and parted on pretty favorable terms. Not the lady I ended up marrying, but we shared a few laughs.
For an Old Girlfriend, We Kept in Touch
If I look
hard enough on
Graffiti-ed concrete walls
the windows shards of
remembrance for
more prosperous times
Here is where I
wrote your name, next to where
Someone else recounts
seeing Elvis in
the mildew stains
La femme-
(La, the feminine article)
I would put her
on paper,
But why
dwell on the past?
That was
when things were
simpler, I
had long hair
and no beard
I can recall your
black-night hair
the flannel shirt you wore-red
checkered, and jeans
Thank you for
this
memory, that time
I head back to
the roadway
Above, two birds
watch for a moment
and fly away

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home