Saturday, February 18, 2006

The First Church of Burgerology

It was a slow Friday afternoon at the office. That's kind of the nature of the beast, though. Bored at work? Three words to remember- Power Point haikus. There's also a lot of fun clip art in Excel. We also had a long and involved discussion about a picture of a giant burger a coworker found in a magazine. Discussion ranged over probable origins and composition of the giant burger, how long it would take to eat such a burger, and where to get the best burgers. Probably shouldn't have had this discussion at 10AM, as it was still a while until lunch.
They say you should love what you do, but I often think of it as a necessity. My present job is not that bad at all- a lot of work, but the pay is good and we all try to make it as positive an experience as we can. I figure I've got to be there (or somewhere) so I might as well make the most of it. But I was always unsure just how emotionally involved I should be. I know there are people who become really attached to their jobs, and people who really don't care. I'm somewhere in the middle- work is work, and it's a matter of pride to do the best job I can. But if a higher-paying position were to come along, I'd have to take it, if for no other reason it means more money to take care of my family. And I suppose that's as good a motivation as any.

That's How She Says Goodbye
That's how she says goodbye
Shaking off boredom
moves along under heavy skies
She's in Atlanta or Dallas or Vegas,
one of those convention cities
Shaved her head, bought a
jet-black wig;
her friends commented on the change
"Do not seek from
another
Or you will be estranged from self"
Reading her fortune cookie
Outside on the road
An old man and his
wife, arm in arm
Their slow progression
Stately, noble, speaks of
long association
Je vais aller,
she says to herself,
leaves a tip
for the waiter

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home