Thursday, August 17, 2006

The Good Doctor

I noticed another comment from an anonymous poster- yes, I did see Atomic Cafe, but was more inspired by Dr. Strangelove and Fail Safe than anything else, as well as the book The Fate of the Earth by Jonathan Schell. (Recommended viewing/reading, apart from the peacenik aspect, these were really enjoyable films). The fact that we (the US) had to resort to atomic bombing is not something to be proud of, I think. Though I was once asked, "What about Adolf Hitler? Do you think that the war declared against the Axis powers was unjust?" That's a tough one- ultimately, I think, the greater good was served- ideally, we would have a world where war was passe- irrelevant, as all people would be peaceful- with liberty and justice for all- isn't that what we founded this country on? All means everyone, not those people we happen to like at the time. I have a brother-in-law as well as a cousin in the armed forces, both whom I have a great amount of respect for. To fight for a cause you believe in is a noble aim- my dad taught me that. Although he didn't really believe in the war in Vietnam, the draft was on. He could have headed north, to Canada, but instead chose to follow Plato's philosophy- if we have the priveleges of citizenship, we also assume the responsibilities. I am unsure whether he realized it or not, but this has stuck with me for all these years. It was a long time growing up before I ever knew that about my dad, that he fought in Vietnam as a medic, and how really messed up the whole situation was. And now, I hear my brother-in-law home from serving in Afghanistan and Iraq in the Marines saying largely the same things, and it makes me think that there must be a better answer than war. Call me a pipe dreamer, but I sincerely hope that some day we can all live together in peace, each one learning from each other, like it says in the Bible. (Jeremiah 31:34). But in the meantime, looks like there's a lot to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home