Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Man vs. Nature

And the score stands so far, Nature 1, Man 0. We're more or less moved into the new house, despite many boxes still to unpack. I have a suspicion it's stuff we boxed up last time we moved and haven't given a thought to since. I was out behind the shed trying to remove a pesky stump a few days ago. The stump is pesky because it's in an ideal spot to put a compost bin, but the stump being there kind of puts the kibosh on that idea. So I took an axe to it- the stump held up well under the attack, all the way up to the point where the axe handle broke. So now I need to replace the handle and just leave the bloody thing there- if it wants to stay that badly... I haven't put in any plants in the garden yet, but will have plenty of time to get a good compost pile going and next spring will hopefully start some vegetables. It's a little late in the season to plant anything now, but at least I'll have lots of time to plan. I'm sure this will be a less adversarial situation than trying to take out the stump. I'd try tying it to the front of my car and trying to pull it out that way, but I drive a sedan, and kind of like the bumper where it is on my car.

Salesman Part Two
She said she said don't hitch a ride
with the Monster Man, we'll
Need a new plan, but I
Needed to get to town
His skull rings like a bell from
hammer blows, the
Sun makes a pool on the bathroom floor
and his real name you don't know, still
wondering as a spider crawls across
the orange shag carpet and cigarette burns-
where is
the Salesman's Next Big Score? We
wish him luck

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salesman part 1 & 2 both evoke the lonliness of the long distance salesmen of the 50s. I can just see the guy in the big green Dodge driving along some lonely highway in Nevada or Arizona. Not an easy life.

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home