Thursday, March 16, 2006

Is it Spring yet?

While out on a run, I saw a robin, so spring can't be too far away. It's been warming up quite a bit lately. I've been meaning to get out and play some golf, but haven't had the time as of yet. No I'm not a rich old guy, but occasionally get out and knock a ball around. I'm not really that good, but as long as I can get within 50 or 60 yards of the pin, I'm all set. The problem is getting there without having to bring food and water for three days while I go find where the ball landed. But at least you get out in the sun. I'm still trying to top a couple years ago, when I managed to play off of a duck. Hit the green, too. The tee kind of looked down on a lake with a green in the middle, and a bridge leading out to it. So of course, I knocked my first shot into the water. Along the edge of the island green were a number of ducks, seemingly not the least bit concerned about the fact that we were (trying) to hit golf balls at them. This should provide some clue as to what a great shot I am... So setting up a second shot, I hit a great pitch downwards towards the green, but a little bit short. It looked like it was going to catch the edge of the green and also go into the water. The ducks, of course, couldn't have been less concerned. So of course, the ball came down squarely on the back of one of the poor ducks. I heard the thunk from the tee. The ball then bounced back up and landed on the green. The duck did not bounce back up- he kind of flopped into the water, shook his wings and swam off. Fortunately, he was fine, at least physically. Oddly enough, had I missed the duck that shot too probably would have gone into the water too. Kind of brings a new meaning to the term water hazard. Playing off of ducks is really not recommended though.
Salt Shore

Coming to this
new shore, salt air
in my lungs
No longer seeking self
Chill wind blows across the waves, we
have traveled here to
see only the night air over the now-silent
beach sands
Waves churned by the relentless air
What does this wave know
of deeper silent depths
specimens swim and crawl,
Uncaring of changes above
***
Who are you beings, surely
not of my household?
Yet to this I will not
idly lay claim, no
birthright, no noble lineage
Shall make your
labor mine

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home